How to Find the Right CNA Program near Springvale Maine
Once you have made a decision to practice in the healthcare field as a certified nursing assistant, it’s time to begin the process of searching for CNA training programs near Springvale ME. As soon as you have achieved your certification, you will be starting a gratifying career in one of the most rapidly growing occupations in healthcare within the Country. Though it may seem like an overwhelming endeavor, it’s important that you pick the right program to acquire the proper training and education. A number of prospective students begin with the two most basic qualifications, which are the location of the school and the price of tuition. You may also be pondering whether to attend CNA classes on campus, or enroll in an online CNA course and attend them from home. More about that option later. But performing your due diligence before selecting a program consists of much more than comparing the tuition or location. Such things as accreditation and the reputation of the school must similarly be considered. We will be covering those issues as well as several other questions that you need to be asking before you enroll in a CNA school. But first, let’s talk a little bit about what a nursing assistant does and the kind of instruction and credentials that are offered.
The Duties of a Certified Nursing Assistant
Certified Nursing Assistants carry out many tasks in the Springvale ME hospitals, practices and other medical facilities where they are employed. Per their title, CNAs are not licensed by the state but instead are certified. Because they are not licensed, they function under the guidance and oversight of either a licensed LPN or RN. And as nursing assistants, their prime job function is to assist the licensed nurses that they work under. Their responsibilities are many and diverse, and in a hospital environment may include:
- Providing basic services to patients
- Measuring patient’s vital signs
- Maintaining a record of patient’s health status
- Bathing and dressing patients
- Serving and aiding patients with meals
- Transporting patients to other areas
CNAs can also work in Springvale ME nursing homes or long term care facilities. In those environments, nursing assistants are more engaged in supporting patients with their Activities of Daily Living (ADL). ADLs are defined as routine activities that most individuals carry out daily without assistance, such as eating, dressing, or using the washroom. Nursing assistants typically build more of a bond with these patients since they typically stay in the facilities for prolonged time frames. Often, they may end up being the channel between the patient and the balance of the medical staff because of their familiarity with their charges. As a result, the CNA’s expertise can be a valued resource for preparing the appropriate care and treatment of long term care patients.
In contrast to many other licensed nurses, certified nursing assistants do not need to earn a college degree. CNA education can be acquired at community colleges or at Springvale ME vocational or trade schools. The duration of the instruction can take anywhere from just one to three months, leading to either a certificate or a diploma. Within the 1987 Nursing Home Reform Act, students are required to obtain at least 75 hours of instruction, 16 of which need to be clinical or “hands-on” training hours. Keep in mind that this is the minimum period of training required and each state has its own requirements. So it’s important to make sure that the training program you enroll in not only complies with the federal requirements, but additionally those for the state where you will be practicing. One tip is to contact the health or nursing board for your state to make sure that the training course is state certified. As well as the training, each state requires a passing score on a competency test for certification. Depending on the state, there may be other prerequisites as well.
CNA Online Programs
Attending CNA schools online is becoming a more popular way to obtain training and acquire a certificate or diploma in Springvale ME. Certain schools will require attending on campus for part of the training, and virtually all programs require a specific number of clinical rotation hours carried out in a local healthcare center. But since the balance of the training can be accessed online, this alternative may be a more practical solution to finding the time to attend college for some students. Pertaining to tuition, some online CNA programs are less expensive than other on campus choices. Even other expenses such as for commuting and study materials can be reduced, helping to make education more economical. And many online programs are accredited by organizations like the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE). So if your work and household commitments have left you with very little time to work toward your academic goals, perhaps an online CNA program will make it easier to fit earning a certificate into your active schedule.
What to Ask CNA Degree Programs
Now that you have chosen which nursing program to pursue, and whether to attend your classes on campus or on the web, you can utilize the following pointers to start narrowing down your options. As you no doubt are aware, there are numerous CNA schools and colleges within Maine and the United States. So it is important to decrease the number of schools to choose from to ensure that you will have a workable list. As we previously mentioned, the location of the school along with the expense of tuition are probably going to be the initial two things that you will take into consideration. But as we also stressed, they should not be your only qualifiers. So prior to making your ultimate choice, use the following questions to evaluate how your selection compares to the other programs.
- Accreditation. It’s a good idea to make sure that the certificate program along with the school is accredited by a U.S. Department of Education acknowledged accrediting agency. Besides helping verify that you get an excellent education and employment in the Springvale ME area, it may help in securing financial aid or student loans, which are oftentimes not available for non-accredited schools.
- Certification Preparation. Certification requirements for CNAs are different from state to state. For CNA certification, passing a state specific exam is required. Certain states require a specific number of clinical hours be performed, as well. It’s important that the school you are enrolled in not only provides an outstanding education, but also prepares you to comply with the minimum certification requirements for Maine or the state where you will be working.
- Reputation. Look at internet rating services to see what the assessments are for all of the schools you are considering. Ask the accrediting agencies for their reviews also. Additionally, get in touch with the Maine school certification or licensing authority to check out if there are any complaints or compliance issues. Finally, you can call some Springvale ME healthcare organizations you’re interested in working for after graduation and ask what their assessments are of the schools as well.
- Graduation and Job Placement Rates. Find out from the CNA colleges you are looking at what their graduation rates are as well as how long on average it takes students to finish their programs. A low graduation rate may be an indication that students were displeased with the program and dropped out. It’s also essential that the schools have high job placement rates. A high rate will not only confirm that the school has a superb reputation within the Springvale ME healthcare community, but that it also has the network of relationships to assist students obtain a position.
- Internship Programs. The most effective way to get experience as a certified nursing assistant is to work in a clinical setting. Essentially all nursing degree programs require a specific number of clinical hours be completed. Various states have minimum clinical hour requirements for certification too. Ask if the schools have a working relationship with nearby Springvale ME hospitals, clinics or labs and assist with the placing of students in internships.
Nursing Aide Programs Springvale Maine
Enrolling in the ideal certified nursing assistant school is perhaps the most crucial step to starting a new career in the health care industry. There are many factors that you need to consider when deciding on a nursing school. These aspects will be prioritized differently depending on your current career goals, lifestyle, and financial situation. As we have highlighted in this post, it is critical that you select a CNA college and a certificate program that are each accredited and have exceptional reputations within the healthcare community. One of the reasons you stopped by our website was due to an interest in Nursing Aide Programs and an interest in getting more information on the topic Top CNA Certification Programs. However, by utilizing our list of qualifying questions, you will be able to create a short list of schools to pick from so that you can make your ultimate selection. And with the appropriate degree and training, combined with your dedication and desire to succeed, you can become a CNA in Springvale ME.
More Nursing Aide Locations in Maine
Springvale is a village and former census-designated place in the city of Sanford in York County, Maine, United States. The population was 3,292 at the 2010 census. It is part of the Portland–South Portland–Biddeford, Maine metropolitan statistical area. The CDP was abolished when the town of Sanford reincorporated as a city.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the CDP has a total area of 3.2 square miles (8.4 km2), of which 3.1 square miles (8.1 km2) is land and 0.12 square miles (0.3 km2), or 3.69%, is water. Springvale is drained by the Mousam River.
This climatic region is typified by large seasonal temperature differences, with warm to hot (and often humid) summers and cold (sometimes severely cold) winters. According to the Köppen Climate Classification system, Springvale has a humid continental climate, abbreviated "Dfb" on climate maps.
Business Results 1 - 10 of 2